The AeroGarden indoor garden kits offer people the opportunity to grow a variety of plants and food year-round. But what exactly are the best things to grow in an AeroGarden?
That’s what I’ll get into in this article. With AeroGarden plants growing up to five times faster than in regular gardens with pesticides, there are many tasty, fast-growing plants that’ll sprout.
I’ll look at varieties of plants, different kinds of salad greens mixes, and green vegetables. Grow your own healthy non-GMO food without herbicides. Harvest months of vegetables, different kinds of peppers, AeroGarden sweet bell peppers, and more.
- Related Article: Best AeroGarden Comparison and Buying Guide.
Best Plants to Grow in an AeroGarden
Fresh herbs are the best plants to grow for green thumbs. Herbs are easy to grow and maintain, ready to start harvesting and pruning in as little as 4 weeks.
They’ll give a continuous harvest of herbs for weeks and months.
Here are some of the best herbs to grow in an AeroGarden:
Herbs grow up to manageable heights and therefore you can easily grow them through any season. The AeroGarden Systems come with a few herb seed kits that can grow a range of herbs.
- Pesto Basil Seed Pod Kit
- Gourmet Herb Seed Pod Kit
- Asian Herbs Seed Pod Kit
- Italian Herbs Seed Pod Kit
- Traditional Medicinal Herb Seed Pod Kit
- Herb Lover’s Seed Pod Kit
- International Basil Seed Pod Kit
- Fresh Tea Seed Kit
- Cocktail and Mocktail Herb Blend
If you wish to grow herbs in a bunch, it is always preferable to add 2-3 seeds in the seed pod as these tiny seeds will grow into a bunch. Herbs will take 4 weeks to harvest.
When people say you can grow anything in an AeroGarden System that is not true. A few tall plants like corn cannot be grown or accommodated in any of the AeroGarden Garden Systems. But there are plenty of tall-sized plants that can still be grown in the AeroGarden Farm 24-inch models.
Root vegetables that grow deep into the soil like radishes, carrots, potatoes, etc., cannot be grown as there’s not enough plant spacing in the water tank for roots to fully expand.
Here are some of best vegetables to grow in an AeroGarden.
- Green Beans
- Cherry Tomatoes (Red Heirloom, Mega Cherry, Mighty Cherry)
- Peppers (Chili Pepper, Jalapeño, Sweet Bell Pepper, Thai Pepper)
These are just some of the seed pod kits that are available along with the AeroGarden systems are:
- Red Heirloom Cherry Tomato Seed Pod Kit
- Tomato and Pepper Variety Seed Pod Kit
- Red and Golden Cherry Tomato Seed Pod Kit
- Shishito Pepper Seed Pod Kit
- Jalapeño Pepper Seed Pod Kit
The majority of vegetables growing in an AeroGarden can be harvested for continuously 4 months. Plant tomato seeds and harvest cherry tomatoes to your heart’s desire.
- Related Articles:
- How to Grow and Harvest Tomatoes
Want months of salad greens for your daily green salads? Not a problem with these handy gardens.
The best salad greens to grow in an AeroGarden system:
- Bok Choi (Bok Choy)
- Beet Greens
- Romaine Lettuce
- Swiss Chard
- Mustard Greens
- Butter Head Lettuce
- Collard Greens
These are the seed pod kits that are available to grow in an AeroGarden:
- Beet Greens Kit
- Heirloom Salad Green Kit
- Green Smoothie Kit
- Salad Lover’s Kit
- Salsa Garden Kit
Salad greens can give you three months of continuous harvests.
Flowers are often said to be seasonal plants that can only grow and bloom in certain weather and climate conditions. But what if you could grow those flowers all year-round?
There are a few flowering plants that can grow in the AeroGarden system and sustain throughout the year, irrespective of the cold weather outside.
Here’s a list of the best flowers to grow in an AeroGarden:
- Dark Pink Dianthus
- Yellow striped Gazania
- Yellow Coreopsis
- Mini Petunia
- Stock Flowers
You will be pleased to find the aroma and beauty of these flowers in your house, the same quality as soil-grown plants, throughout the year.
AeroGarden provides a wide variety of seed pod kit options:
- Cascading Petunias Seed Pod Kit
- English Cottage Seed Pod Kit
- Lots of Lavender Seed Pod Kit
- Mountain Meadow Seed Pod Kit
- Love Blooms Seed Pod Kit
- Colorful Coleus Seed Pod Kit
- Flower Lover’s Seed Pod Kit
- Rainbow Fire Seed Pod Kit
- Spring Flowers Seed Pod Kit
Depending on which region you’re in, you can grow your favorite flowers too, only if those are not too high growing. Usually, flowering plants grow as shrubs and in a bunch, therefore, you may want to keep some space between the pod, giving them enough room to grow.
Grow Anything Seed Kits
Grow Anything Seed Kits allow people to grow almost any combination of plants and veggies and herbs and flowers in an AeroGarden.
The kits include everything that comes with the seed pod kits, except for the seeds.
- Grow Sponges
- Grow Domes
- Grow Baskets
- Formulated liquid nutrients as plant food (3 ounces)
For those plants that will eventually become too large to grow and maintain in an AeroGarden, you can still start the plants in the AeroGarden.
Add on Seed Starting Kits, you can choose to sprout them in an AeroGarden, and then later transfer these seedlings to outdoor gardens when the temperature is supportive. This kit is ideal for root cuttings too.
How to Start Growing With an AeroGarden
Now that you know what grows best in an AeroGarden, you probably want to get one right away. I’ll take you through some basic factors to consider before choosing an AeroGarden system.
1. What Do You Want to Grow in the AeroGarden?
The first and the most important decision you will have to make before you purchase an AeroGarden is what kind of plants you wish to grow.
If you’re planning to only grow flowers and/or herbs, the Harvest model with 6 pods should be enough. You don’t necessarily need anything larger, because you can transfer the flowers to
If you want to eat all organic home-grown vegetables and leafy greens, look at the 9-pod Bounty models and the 24-pod Farm models, like the AeroGarden Farm Plus.
Also consider how high the plants you’re looking at will grow. With the bottles of water of nutrients and the powerful LED lights, you’ll want to look at the Bounty models, like the Bounty Elite 24-inch height indoor gardens.
2. Number of People and Family Size
In addition to looking at what you want to grow, you need to consider how many people you’re looking to feed.
For 2 people, the Harvest and Bounty models should be good.
For 3-4 people, you’ll want to get a Bounty or Farm garden.
For 4+ people or more, you’ll want to get a Farm garden.
These are just rough guidelines and different reasons could warrant getting specific models. For example, if you’re looking to cut down trips to food stores, you may want to start with the Farm 24 gardens.
As your desire for daily harvests of vegetables, herbs, fruits, and other plant foods grows, you can purchase more gardens. Grow different types of plants in each one.
Imagine a basement garden with minimal light needed other than the LED lights, and stilll achieving a great growth rate.
Best Things to Grow in an AeroGarden Final Thoughts
There are almost 175+ AeroGarden seed pod kits available on that you can purchase. They come in different pod sizes: 3, 6, 9, 12, and 24-Pod kits.
Another thing to keep in mind is the water quality. Stay away from rain, well, and spring water as they’re not conducive to hydroponic gardening. Tap water mixed with AeroGarden’s liquid nutrients creates a solution of water in a good pH range for the plants to grow quickly.
Here are a couple of my favorite AeroGarden seed kits:
AeroGarden Salad Bar, 24-pod – Lots of salad greens, Red Heirloom Cherry Tomato, and Golden Harvest Cherry Tomato. Includes liquid plant food and plant spacers.
- INCLUDES SALAD BAR SEED KIT - 9 Lettuce Pods (Black Seeded Simpson (2), Deer Tongue, Parris Island, Red Sail, Marvel of 4 Seasons (2), Rouge D'Hiver...
- PLANT TO PLATE – Non-GMO seeds; No herbicides; No pesticides. Harvest herbs directly from the plant for use in your favorite recipes
- COMES WITH EVERYTHING - Also includes 12 oz bottles of patented, specially formulated Liquid Nutrients, grow domes for optimal germination, and a...
- GERMINATION GUARANTEE - 100 Percent Germination Guarantee; if a Seed Pod doesn't sprout, we'll replace it for free
- WORKS WITH ANY AEROGARDEN - For use in all AeroGarden models
Last update on 2021-09-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
AeroGarden Tomato & Pepper Variety Seed Pod Kit -- Mega Cherry Tomato, Poblano Pepper, Sweet Bell Pepper, liquid plant food, and plant spacers.
- This Jumbo Veggies Seed Pod Kit includes 3 Seed Pods: Mega Cherry Tomato (1), Poblano Pepper (1), Sweet Bell Pepper (1), & Spacers (10)
- 100-Percent Germination Guarantee - if a Seed Pod doesn't germinate, we'll replace it for free.
- Non-GMO. No herbicides. No pesticides.
- Also includes 1) 6 ounces of patented, specially formulated Liquid Nutrients 2) Grow Domes for optimal germination 3) Growing Guide with step-by-step...
- For use in all AeroGardens with 24”+ growing height, ideal for Farm Plus Models.
Last update on 2021-09-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API