A common question with bonsai enthusiasts is how long a bonsai tree can live. It’s not a clear-cut answer.
A bonsai tree can live up to 1000 years or even longer with proper care and maintenance. With improper care, a bonsai tree can die in as little as 2-3 months. In addition to soil, fertilization, humidity, pruning, and other factors, a bonsai’s lifespan varies by bonsai species.
For example, the Japanese maple can live up to 80 year, while the Chinese elm can live up to 50 years. Learn about the world’s oldest Bonsai trees.
Continue reading to get more in-depth into how long bonsai trees live and the factors that affect how long they can live.
How Long Do Bonsai Trees Live?
Bonsais are miniature trees that are grown for aesthetic purposes. They are usually kept alive by being watered regularly and fed with fertilizer. They can live for several hundred years but are usually cut down when they reach a certain age.
Bonsai trees tend to grow slowly, but some grow quickly. Bonsai trees normally take anywhere from 5 to 15 years to reach maturity. There are some exceptions though, such as the bonsai trees that were grown indoors. These trees may be ready to be planted out after 3 years.
Bonsai trees take years to grow into beautiful miniature trees. They need constant care and attention. They’re kept in perfect growing conditions. They have plenty of nutrients and are free of diseases. A study shows that bonsai trees live up to 25% longer than other trees that are the same species.
Don’t be fooled by the small size either. Their small size doesn’t mean they have shorter lifespans. Read more about the various bonsai size classifications.
Factors Affecting How Long a Bonsai Will Live
Bonsai trees need the right amount of care to grow properly. If you aren’t giving them the right growing conditions, they won’t live very long (hundreds of years).
Bonsai Tree Species
Bonsais are plants that are grown into miniature versions of full-grown trees. You need to know how to grow them properly, because if you don’t do it right, then your bonsai won’t last long.
Outdoor species should be grown outdoor environments, while indoor bonsai species are meant to be grown indoors.
Some examples of various tree species to select from. Choose cedar, cypress or pines for evergreen species, and cherry, beech or maples for deciduous species.
Ficus bonsai are some of the oldest living plants on Earth and some have lived more than 1,000 years.
Learn about the different tree species and what the different Bonsai trees symbolize.
To ensure your bonsai grows well and stays strong, make sure you replicate the environmental conditions of its natural habitat. One of the biggest factors is good humidity levels.
You should use a saucer or other type of humidity tray to help create this environment. There are many different types of humidity trays available online.
Check out a tray like this:
9GreenBox Bonsai Humidity Drip Tray - Decorative Catcher Plate for Drainage and Moisture - Black Polished Plastic Container with Natural Pebbles - Large Space Good for 2 Potted Miniature Trees - 7"x9"
- 🍃 IMPROVES MOISTURE LEVEL IN A ROOM - Our bonsai tray is designed to increase humidity in a certain environment. The shallow container helps water evaporate to provide bonsai leaves with moisture.
- 🍃 CATCHES EXCESS WATER - You wouldn't want excess water to just drip on your prized wooden table. Our humidity tray catches every single drop, saving you a trip to the sink and back.
- 🍃 TOUGH & DURABLE - Made of a sturdy material, our bonsai humidity tray will hold out for a long time. It has a reinforced bottom that adds to the tray's durability and prevents table scratches.
- 🍃 WIDE ENOUGH FOR MOST POTS - At 7x9 inches, our catching tray can accommodate most bonsai pot sizes. If you have the little ones, you can fit two of them in there with room to spare.
- BULLET POINT 5 🍃 DECORATIVE SET OF PEBBLES - What is more breathtaking than a bonsai tree with a gorgeous pot sitting on a bonsai humidity tray with pebbles? This is the perfect accent to your home decor.
Bonsai Boy's Parisian Red Ceramic Humidity Drip Bonsai Tray - Rectangle 8 0 x 6 5 x 1 0 OD 7 5 x 5 5 x 0 5 ID
If you have many bonsai trees and other houseplants, plant humidifiers will be more efficient.
A saucer made out of plastic or ceramic material is a great gift for any occasion. You can use these gifts as party favors or hostess gifts.
General Care for Healthy Bonsai
Trees need proper watering, soil, fertilizer, and pruning to survive. It’s important to give your bonsai all the elements. Watering is one of the most important things you can do to keep your bonsai healthy.
When watering your bonsai, always remember to water deeply, while allowing excess water to drain properly. This will prevent root rot and disease.
Make sure you water your bonsai at least once every two weeks during the spring and summer months. During winter, you should only water your bonsai about once per month.
A good bonsai soil mix also plays an essential role in keeping your bonsai healthy and flourishing. The best kind of soil for a bonsai is loam soil. Loam soil has a high percentage of organic matter which helps hold soil moisture.
Keeping up with pruning keeps them looking great and healthy. Prune your bonsai regularly, so you can maintain their shape and appearance. Always cut off dead branches before they get too large. Never let your bonsai roots get overgrown either.
These shears help to trim the tree and keep it looking good.
Read the in-depth Bonsai Tree Care Guide to learn more about how to care for bonsais.
Trimming For Optimal Lifespan of Bonsai Trees
A bonsai tree grows slowly but steadily. It doesn’t stop growing because it’s been trimmed too much or too little.
Trees need to be pruned regularly to help them grow. Pruning with fingers is more natural than using scissors. Conifers do better with finger pruning while deciduous trees do better with scissors.
Trees need to be trimmed regularly to ensure that they are healthy. Healthy trees produce more leaves than unhealthy ones. Trimming unhealthy branches and leaves allows the rest of the tree to thrive.
Sealants can be used on the cut branches to protect trees from insects and disease. Wax sealant can be used to preserve conifer trees, and tar-based paint on deciduous trees.
Bonsai Tree Pests And Diseases
Bonsai trees are sensitive to pests and diseases. They should be treated early before they get sick. When treating pests, try to catch them early. If you see pests on your bonsai, remove them immediately.
You should also check your other indoor plants for bugs and diseases, as they can transfer to your bonsai trees easily.
Bonsai Tree Lifespan Final Thoughts
Bonsai trees can last a lifetime if cared for correctly. In fact, some bonsai experts claim that there are bonsai trees that have lived for centuries.
No matter the period of time or variety of tree, the key to having a long life span is maintaining a healthy tree for proper growth.
Learn more about bonsai trees with these articles:
- Best Fertilizer for Bonsai Trees
- How Long Does It Take For a Bonsai Tree to Grow?
- Great Bonsai Books to Read
- Complete Guide to Bonsai Tree Care
Bonsai Tree Seed Starter Kit - Mini Bonsai Plant Growing Kit, 4 Types of Seeds, Potting Soil, Pots, Pruning Shears Scissor Tool, Plant Markers, Wood Gift Box, Fathers Day Gardening Gifts Ideas
- Grow Your Own Bonsai Kit: Plant your own bonsai kit — choose from seeds for Brazilian Rosewood (Jacaranda Mimosifolia), Colorado Blue Spruce (Picea Pungens Glauca San Juan), Flame Tree (Delonix Regia), or Black Spruce (Picea Mariana). Experience the joy of watching your tree grow, from the seedlings in your bonsai tree kit to a fully-formed bonsai tree.
- Everything You Need to Succeed: Our bonsai grow kit comes with everything you need to grow your own bonsai tree — 4 varieties of mini bonsai tree seeds, 4 soil disks, 4 burlap grow bags, 4 bamboo plant markers, bonsai shears, a wood box that doubles as a planter, along with detailed instructions. No matter whether you’re searching for plant gifts for women, or a bonsai tree kit indoor beginner for your own gardening initiation, look no further than our complete bonsai starter kit.
- Expert Growing Support: We’ve gone above and beyond to support you with your bonsai growing kit. We know many of our customers are new to bonzai kits, that is why our bonsai seed kit comes with a team of gardening experts and horticulturists available to answer questions, a Grower Help Bot through FB Messenger, detailed instructions, a private FB Grower Community, and instructional videos. Even if this is your first attempt to grow your own bonsai tree kit, we’ll make it as easy as can be.
- Non-GMO & Heirloom: At Garden Republic, our diy kits only contain the highest quality seeds. Our bonsai tree seeds are all Non-GMO and Heirloom (when available). Rest assured your bonsai tree starter kit comes with tested seeds and a vibrant community of growers.
- Why Garden Republic: Our goal is to make the art of growing plants simple and accessible for everyone. We started as a veteran and family-owned, small business focused on creating safe, sustainable products you can trust — a practice that continues to this day.