Lemons are all around us and we take them for granted. We use them to make drinks like lemonade, lemon juice, and lemon flavored desserts.
Lemon seeds were brought to the New World by Christopher Columbus in 1493 on his second voyage. He spread the lemon to five different continents himself.
But where did he get lemons from? Is lemon man-made or did it grow naturally? This article will get into the history of the lemon.
- Related article: List of Man-Made Fruits and Vegetables
Are Lemons Man-Made?
Lemons are man-made and a hybrid fruit that is a cross between two citrus fruits, the citron and sour orange. Lemons were bred to grow a fruit that provided more juice than the sour orange fruit.
It was first cross bred over 4,000 years ago in India and East Asia, around Burma (Myanmar today) or Southern China.
There are many different types of lemons today. Some are yellow, others are green and others are red. No matter the lemon type, they’re all acidic.
All varieties of citrus were actually bred from four breeding trees – citron, key lime, citron, and tangerine. The orange that we know today is man-made. It’s a hybrid of the mandarin and pomelo.
There are some botanists who say that the one or more of the four are hybrid fruits themselves.
- Related article: Are Lemons Fruits or Vegetables?
Health Benefits of Lemons
The health benefits of lemons include:
- Antioxidant Properties – Lemons are rich in vitamin C, which has antioxidant properties. Antioxidants help protect cells against free radicals. Free radicals can cause cell damage and contribute to chronic diseases such as cancer. Vitamin C helps prevent heart disease and stroke.
- Anti-Inflammatory Properties – Lemons have been used for centuries to treat inflammation. They contain limonene, an anti-inflammatory compound found in their peel. These compounds work together with another ingredient called hesperidin to reduce swelling and pain.
- Anti-Cancer Properties – Studies show that lemon rind contains flavonoids that inhibit tumor growth. Flavonoids are antioxidants that have been shown to fight cancer.
- Digestive Aid – Lemons are high in fiber, making them a good digestive aid.
- Immune Boosting Properties – Lemons boost your immune system. One way is through their vitamin C content. Another is through their limonene content. Limonene boosts your body’s natural killer cells, which are important in fighting infections.
Is Lemon Man Made Final Thoughts
Lemons are a man-made fruit that are used for culinary purposes. They are a hybrid of the citron and sour oranges. In fact, there are many different types of lemon today. Some are yellow and others are green. No matter the lemon variety, they’re all acidic and provide lots of nutritional benefits.
Maybe this article will encourage you to grow your own lemon tree at home. There’s no better time to do so than now. You’ll enjoy the freshness of homegrown lemons every day.
For other fruits and vegetables that might be man-made, check out these articles: