Gardening is a fun hobby and it is very rewarding when you see your plants grow into beautiful flowers and fruits.
But if you don’t want pests, critters, and other animals to destroy your garden then you should know how to keep animals out of the garden.
Critters and Animals to Look Out For
There are many types of animals that can do damage to your garden. Deer, rabbits, and ground hogs are some examples.
Tracks in the dirt can help you identify what kind of animals come into your yard and garden.
- Deer leave hoof prints and nibble plants.
- Rabbits leave tiny tracks and snip off plants.
- Groundhogs dig holes and leave pellets.
- Birds will peck at any crops.
- Chickens or ducks may eat vegetables and fruit.
Animals that live in the wild also pose a threat to gardens. Squirrels, raccoons, opossums, skunks, foxes, coyotes, and snakes all love to eat seeds and plant roots. Rats love vegetables too, so it’s important to learn how to keep rats away from vegetable gardens.
If you have pets such as dogs, cats, or horses, they can also be dangerous for your garden. They can dig up soil, eat plants, and even cause damage by eating fencing around your property.
If you’re worried about animals damaging your garden, there are ways to deter them from coming onto your property.
How to Keep Animals Out of the Garden
Here are some easy ways to control the spread of pests and keep animals out of the garden.
1. Natural Repellents
Use repellents such as citronella oil spray, garlic, putrescent egg, onion juice, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, lemon grass, and eucalyptus oil. These natural products will repel insects and keep them away from your garden.
You can make your own repellent mixing the ingredients with water in a blender. Puree until the mixture is smooth and then strain it to only have the liquid. You can add more water if it’s thick.
Then spray it on your garden once a week or so. You can try to spray around your garden first if you want and not directly on the plants.
2. Artificial Repellants
You can buy commercial repellents and insecticides like those made by Raid, Off!, and D-Con. These contain chemicals that kill bugs and protect against mosquitoes.
There are also ultrasonic sound and noisemakers. The noise created by these devices scares away animals.
I generally try to avoid using insecticides because they can be harmful to humans, wildlife, and beneficial insects. If you use pesticides, always read labels carefully before applying them.
Natural Armor Animal & Rodent Repellent Spray. Repels Skunks, Raccoons, Rats, Mice, Deer Rodents & Critters. Repeller & Deterrent in Powerful Peppermint Formula – 128 Fl Oz Gallon Ready to Use
- GETS RID OF and KEEPS AWAY Skunks, Raccoons, Rats, Mice, Deer and Nuisance Pests & Critters From Unwanted Areas Such As Homes, Yards, Flowers, Gardens and Landscaping
- INDOOR/OUTDOOR USE - For Indoor Applications Use Inside Your Home, Garages, Sheds & Patios. For Outdoor Applications Use Sidewalks, Driveways, Outdoor
3. Fencing and Chicken Wire
Fences can keep animals out of your garden. It is an effective way to keep deer, rabbits, and groundhogs out.
You can build a fence yourself or hire someone to do it for you. Building one with wood can be more effective for larger animals.
Chicken wire can work for smaller animals. If you use chicken wire, set them up with stakes, rocks, or bricks to create the boundaries.
AMAGABELI GARDEN & HOME 35 Panels Decorative Garden Fence 50ft (L)x 18in(H) Rustproof Green Iron Landscape Folding Garden Fencing Panel Border Edge Edging Patio Flower Bed Animal Barrier For Dog
- Size & Rustproof Material:Decorative metal garden fence with single panel size 18" high x 17" wide, 35 Panels in total. This metal flower bed fencing panels for front yard is made of Dark Green Iron with vinyl pvc powder coated surface will enable you to use the garden
4. Electric Fencing
Electric fencing is an effective way to keep animals out of gardens. Electric fencing works by shocking the animal with electricity. This causes the animal to jump back.
These are more expensive and need maintenance but they can be used year round. There are different types available depending on the type of animal you want to keep out.
Farmily Portable Electric Fence Polywire, 656 Feet 200 Meter, 6 Conductors, Yellow and Black Color, Easy to Install Repair Splice and Rewind
- PORTABLE ELECTRIC POLYWIRE. Farmily 656 feet (200m) electric fence poly wire consists of 6 inter-woven stainless steel strands, provides lower resistance and reliable conductivity, which is cost effective solution and best ideal for your long portable electric fences needs.
- EASY TO USE. This Portable electric fencing poly wire
5. Motion Activated Frightening Devices
These frightening devices scare away animals when they detect motion. Some of these devices emit sounds, while others send vibrations through the air. They can also set off the sprinklers or lights to scare away pests.
Havahart 5277 Critter Ridder Motion Activated Animal Repellent and Sprinkler - Repel Cats, Dogs, Chipmunks, Groundhogs, Squirrels, Skunks, Deer, and More
- Naturally Repels – Repels nuisance animals such as birds, cats, chipmunks, deer, dogs, groundhogs, opossums, rabbits, raccoons, skunks, and squirrels
- Detects & Deters – The device releases a startling surge of water to scare animals away and conditions them to avoid the area in the future
- Motion-Activated –
6. Set Up Bird Feeders
Bird feeders are an alternative food source for birds. They also provide food for other animals including squirrels and mice.
Attracting birds to your yard can be a good thing too. Birds can help control pests like aphids and caterpillars.
Set up a bird feeder at the ends of your garden, so animals stay on the outskirts.
Squirrel Buster Standard Squirrel-proof Bird Feeder w/4 Metal Perches, 1.3-pound Seed Capacity, garden green
- COMPACT DESIGN FOR TAILORED BIRD FEEDING
- TRULY SQUIRREL-PROOF: Openings in the shroud align with the feeding ports, providing birds access to the food. When a squirrel climbs onto the feeder, its weight automatically forces the shroud down, closing access to the ports. Squirrels and some large birds are
7. Hang Soap Bars Around the Garden
Soap bars are another deterrent for animals. Soap can deter squirrels and deer from your garden.
If you hang them near the edges of your garden, animals may think twice about walking into your garden.
8. Grow Herbs in the Garden
Herbs attract beneficial insects to your garden, but they also discourage herbivores like rabbits and deer. There are herbs like lavender and mint that humans like, but some pests and animals don’t like at all.
9. Cover Your Garden With Netting or Garden Fabric
Netting keeps bugs and small animals out of your garden, but it may not stop large animals like raccoons and deer because they’ll be able to move them more easily.
You can also use garden fabric if it’s a smaller area or specific plants you want to protect.
AlpineReach Garden Netting 7.5 x 65 ft Heavy Duty Bird Net, Deer, Plant Protection Extra Strong Woven Mesh, Reusable Kit with Zip Ties, Animal Fencing for Fruits Trees, Black
- RELIABLE PLANT PROTECTION – Brilliantly designed to keep your plants safe against birds, deer, squirrels, rabbits and other critters. The net is knitted using resistant material and holds its strength against long hours in the Sun. The net is lightweight but strong being made from a specially designed
Valibe Plant Covers Freeze Protection 10 ft x 30 ft Floating Row Cover Garden Fabric Plant Cover for Winter Frost / Sun Pest Protection (10FT X 30FT)
- ※Notice: There might be a small amount of defective products mixing in the current inventory. If the fabric you received falls apart within 2-8 weeks, please contact us any time for full refund. Thank you for cooperation !Big Size to cover large area : The size of our
Catnip attracts cats, so you can use it to lure cats away from your garden. Place them in a pot or bowl away from the garden.
11. Prickly Mats
Prickly mats are made of spikes that stick straight up. You can put them around the garden to keep animals out. When animals step on the mats, it should be uncomfortable and deter them from walking into the garden.
OCEANPAX 6.5ft Cat Scat Mat with Spikes, Prickle Strips Network Digging Stopper Outdoor Spike Deterrent Mat, 78 inch x 11 inch
- Effective deterrent: The Cat Scat Mat with Spikes provides a highly effective solution to keep cats away from unwanted areas. The strategically placed spikes create an uncomfortable surface for cats, discouraging them from trespassing and causing damage to your garden, furniture, or other restricted areas.
- Versatile design: With
12. Place Coffee Grounds Around Plants
Some small animals and bugs will avoid coffee grounds. The smell of coffee grounds repels them.
Place them around plants where you want to keep pests away.
13. Use Wind Chimes
Wind chimes are another way to deter animals because animals will usually stay away from noise. As long as you don’t have neighbors nearby who may not like wind chimes, they can be an effective way to deter animals.
UpBlend Outdoors Wind Chimes for Outside - 29" Silver Wind Chime Outdoor, Zen Garden Chimes for Outdoors, Tin Windchime, Decor Windchimes for Mom, Grandma, Gifts for Her
- Indulge in beautiful hymns with our hand-tuned wind chimes for outside. Perfectly tuned to G-Major, these chimes offer amazing sound quality for a truly immersive outdoor experience. Relax and enjoy the peaceful tones of these unique wind chimes.
- Let the mesmerizing sound of our copper wind chimes for
Keep Animals Out of the Garden Final Thoughts
There are many ways to keep animals out of the garden. It just depends what kind of animals you’re trying to keep out. If you want to keep only one species of animal out, then you may want to look for specific ways to deter that animal.
Here are some other articles that you might be interested in: